Thursday, December 01, 2005

Janitor’s Perspective of the Palouse Mall

In contrast the Palouse Empire Mall has busy and slow days. This has not in the time I that have been employed there been more evident than this weekend. Saturday was extremely busy. Sunday was the slowest I have seen the Mall.
When the Mall is slow the smells from the restaurants are fresh and enticing. The popcorn trails, the drink spills, and the trash are all in short supply. The halls are quiet and pleasant allowing for contemplation as the janitor walks up and down them. There are no calls for garbage pick ups, no calls for spill clean ups and no calls for various other reasons. The pager does not go off once. Giving a janitor time to consider his homework for classes and time to get to the side jobs he does not otherwise have time for.
The smells of food and coffee are welcoming and enjoyable. The mall music can be heard; normally it consists of a variety of genres. Thus, the music makes the shift seem to go quicker. He has time to stop and have a snack or have a cup of coffee with a merchant or two. These are the days to stop him and ask how he is doing and were the restrooms are.
When it is busy a janitor can hardly move through the halls with his cart. The pager seems to go off every other minute. He seems to be going non-stop; going up with a big gray garbage cart, coming back with a load of boxes and smelly, leaky bags. It is on these days that he gets calls for spill clean ups, is chasing trails of popcorn, and is dumping garbage continuously. It never seems to end on these days. Closing time is something he looks forward to, until he goes down the halls for the final clean up and sees that there are spills he did not get to or see before.
The smells of food and coffee are his bane on these days. They mean messes and trash and endless calls. These days are the days not to talk to a janitor. On these days do not ask him where the restrooms are, he has to clean them as well, or how he is doing. You are likely to get a short answer that will amount to “I am very busy. Is there something I can do for you?” spoken in rushed, short, curt tone of voice.
As a janitor I appeal to Pathos by calling attention to the restrooms. Customers use them all the time and seem to not care if they make a mess. I hope to make my readers aware that someone does have to clean them. During busy days the messed up restrooms make a janitor’s day even more unpleasant. But on slow days he has time to keep them up, so it does not seem so unpleasant.
For Ethos I try to bring my voice into use by carrying an almost conversational tone. As a writer I have found that conversational tone gives the best impression of my self. I also chose my observation to be that of something I am familiar with and that can possess a positive and negative view of which I can use my experience to validate or support it, to show the reader that this is not a light topic of some flippant curiosity such as a coffee shop or restaurant. Also, my intent is to show that what others do have a consequence on the work or life of another.
In appealing to Logos I try to bring in a rationale that not getting called continuously for other peoples’ messes helps to make him more pleasant, friendly, and helpful. I hoped to relate that crowds hamper the effectiveness of a janitor’s work in the hope that someone might realize this and offer to clear a path or put the paper-towel they used in the waste bin. Finally, I want to show that a janitor is not just a person who pushes a broom or mop but also someone who is in the business of customer service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home